Govt confident of passage of Women`s Bill
New Delhi: Government on Monday expressed confidence over passage of Women`s Reservation Bill in Parliament, saying though it did not want to "bulldoze" those
opposing it, they should understand that equality was a fundamental right.
"I would say that it is a national resolve (to give 33 percent reservation to women in Lok Sabha and state assemblies). In all these 14 years, it has been waiting. A change has to come and this is the day the change will come," Law Minister M Veerappa Moily told reporters.
The Bill will be taken up in Rajya Sabha today.
When asked if government would demand removal of members opposed to the Bill from the House, Moily said this was a hypothetical question.
"Our idea is not to bulldoze things. In a democracy, differences of opinion will be there, dissent will be there," Moily said, adding that in a country of 600 million people,
differences are bound to exist.
"I don`t find fault in this but, at the same time, there are 600 million people and you are not in a position to get more than 18.5 percent into legislatures. You cannot continue this kind of a domain. We need to provide them (women) the succour....Equality is a fundamental right," he said.
The Law Minister said democracy required taking "appropriate decisions at the appropriate time".
The Bill being brought in to coincide with the International Women`s Day is expected to be approved without any hitch with the Congress, BJP and the Left support and backing of some small parties and independents.
A Constitution amendment needs a two-thirds majority in voting requiring the support of 155 MPs in Rajya Sabha for its passage. The bill has clear backing of at least 165 MPs in
the House with an effective strength of 233.
The opponents of the measure, BSP and SP, have 12 members each in Rajya Sabha while RJD has 4. Former premier H D Deve Gowda, whose JD(S) has 2 seats, said his party would give support if there is a OBC quota.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly