Govt considering providing vocational training to rural poor
New Delhi: With its rural self-employment
scheme failing to produce desired results, the government is
considering providing vocational training to rural poor to
give them a sustainable livelihood.
Efforts are on to redesign the Swarnjayanti Gram
Swarojgar Yojna (SGSY) as National Rural Livelihood Mission
(NRLM) to make the rural poverty alleviation programme more
focused and time bound.
Rural Development Minister C P Joshi said primary
observations of the NREGA and SGSY have indicated that most of
the rural poor were keen on earning under NREGA than becoming
an entrepreneur by taking risk of credit under SGSY.
"We are trying to explore the possibilities of providing
(vocational) training and getting them jobs (in private
sector). We are trying to address it but have not taken any
decision yet," he said.
"For example, there is a demand for (private) security
persons, drivers.... so people can get jobs in these fields
after necessary training. Why can`t we have such activities
under NREGA? We are considering this," he added.
Ministry is interacting with placement agencies and other
organisations, he said.
"The issue of providing sustainable livelihood on this
line was discussed at a meeting of the special task force for
NRLM yesterday where a representative from Infosys also
participated," he said.
Joshi said that SGSY, which is successful in southern
states especially in Kerala and Andhra, has failed to give
"desired results" in other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside