Govt considering providing vocational training to rural poor
New Delhi: With its rural self-employment
scheme failing to produce desired results, the government is
considering providing vocational training to rural poor to
give them a sustainable livelihood.
Efforts are on to redesign the Swarnjayanti Gram
Swarojgar Yojna (SGSY) as National Rural Livelihood Mission
(NRLM) to make the rural poverty alleviation programme more
focused and time bound.
Rural Development Minister C P Joshi said primary
observations of the NREGA and SGSY have indicated that most of
the rural poor were keen on earning under NREGA than becoming
an entrepreneur by taking risk of credit under SGSY.
"We are trying to explore the possibilities of providing
(vocational) training and getting them jobs (in private
sector). We are trying to address it but have not taken any
decision yet," he said.
"For example, there is a demand for (private) security
persons, drivers.... so people can get jobs in these fields
after necessary training. Why can`t we have such activities
under NREGA? We are considering this," he added.
Ministry is interacting with placement agencies and other
organisations, he said.
"The issue of providing sustainable livelihood on this
line was discussed at a meeting of the special task force for
NRLM yesterday where a representative from Infosys also
participated," he said.
Joshi said that SGSY, which is successful in southern
states especially in Kerala and Andhra, has failed to give
"desired results" in other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark