Govt considers installing body scanners at IGI Airport
New Delhi: The Government on Tuesday said it is
considering to install body scanners at the Indira Gandhi
International Airport on a trial basis, once the new terminal
is commissioned, the Parliament was informed today.
"This Ministry is considering installing body scanners at
IGI Airport, New Delhi, on a trial basis once the new terminal
is commissioned," Minister of Civil Aviation Praful Patel said
in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
He, however, said a final view on the type of technology
to be deployed is yet to be taken as the proposal is in the
initial stage and "appropriate safeguards and certification
for privacy and health issues will be incorporated".
On the cost of the scanners, Patel said, it will be borne
by the airport operators.
In a reply to another question, Patel said during this
winter, 1,995 flights have been delayed at the IGI airport
while 339 were cancelled due to low visibility.
He said, the IGI Airport was the most affected airport
during the winter due to fog.
"1,995 numbers of flights were delayed at IGI airport,
Delhi and 339 flights were cancelled due to low visibility in
foggy conditions," the minister said.
He said most airlines use ILS-III system (instrument
landing system (ILS), -- a ground-based system providing
guidance to aircraft while landing) at Delhi airport.
Of the total 289 aircraft for domestic operations, 162 are
CAT (Category)-III Landing System in 2008 and 206 in 2010. He
also added that there are 1,323 CAT III trained pilots as of
November 17, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark