Govt constitutes working groups on water supply, sanitation
New Delhi: The Centre has constituted two
separate working groups to develop strategic plans for better
implementation of its schemes to provide safe drinking water
supply and sanitation in the country.
The two working groups, constituted each on drinking
water supply and sanitation, will function for the remaining
two years of the current five year plan and also for next two
plan periods, a Rural Development Ministry official said.
The working groups will take up issues like defining
the aspirations, assessment of situation besides developing
It will also look into various aspects of plan
implementation and steering mechanism, he said.
Each of the two working groups will be headed by an
officer of joint secretary rank from department of drinking
water and supply of the ministry.
The two groups will comprise representatives from
Planning Commission, Ministry of Water Resources, Urban
Development, Panchayati Raj, Agriculture, Health, Women and
Child Development, Education, UNICEF, World Bank as members
"The Working Groups would look into and deliberate
upon the proposed strategy in the four regional consultations
with states to be held in June, July, August and September,
2010 in collaboration with National Institute of Rural
Development," official said.
These regional consultation meetings on water supply
and sanitation are scheduled to be held in Chandigarh in June
2010 for northern states, in July in Mysore for southern
states, in August in Ahmedabad for western states and in
September in Guwahati for eastern and north-eastern states.
"The final meeting would be held in Hyderabad in
October, 2010. It is expected that the deliberations would
facilitate the planning process in rural drinking water supply
and sanitation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre