Govt convenes DGPs, IGPs conference on Sept 6-8
New Delhi: Growing activities of terror groups, Naxal violence and increased infiltration attempts from across the Indo-Pakistan border are high on the agenda of a three-day conference of the country`s top police brass beginning here on September 6.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will deliberate with DGPs and IGPs on ways to combat terror and other emerging threats, strengthening of counter terrorism capabilities like possibility of setting up of NCTC and enhancing border and coastal security.
Ongoing offensives against Maoists, activities of Pakistan-based terror groups, enhancing intelligence capabilities and situation in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast will also be deliberated threadbare.
The meeting will review the information gathering mechanism -- both human and technical intelligence, its proper sharing and necessary action, how to deal with economic offences, especially fake currency notes, modernisation of police force, procurement of arms and ammunition and filling up of police vacancies, particularly constabulary.
The recent Pune serial blasts may figure prominently in the discussion and the top police officials are expected to take stock of the growing activities of some terrorist groups.
This will be the first major meeting Shinde will attend after he took charge of the Home Ministry. He may also unfold his plan of action as the Home Minister and how to deal with the major internal security issues the country currently facing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Sky is the limit for investments in India: Arun Jaitley
- Like seriously! Kanye West lying naked along with other 11 personalities in his 'Famous' video - Watch
- Why hot climate fuels aggression, violence
- Dinosaur-era bugs knew how to camouflage
- Mumbai school refuses admission to boy, judge offers to pay fees