Govt convenes DGPs, IGPs conference on Sept 6-8
New Delhi: Growing activities of terror groups, Naxal violence and increased infiltration attempts from across the Indo-Pakistan border are high on the agenda of a three-day conference of the country`s top police brass beginning here on September 6.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will deliberate with DGPs and IGPs on ways to combat terror and other emerging threats, strengthening of counter terrorism capabilities like possibility of setting up of NCTC and enhancing border and coastal security.
Ongoing offensives against Maoists, activities of Pakistan-based terror groups, enhancing intelligence capabilities and situation in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast will also be deliberated threadbare.
The meeting will review the information gathering mechanism -- both human and technical intelligence, its proper sharing and necessary action, how to deal with economic offences, especially fake currency notes, modernisation of police force, procurement of arms and ammunition and filling up of police vacancies, particularly constabulary.
The recent Pune serial blasts may figure prominently in the discussion and the top police officials are expected to take stock of the growing activities of some terrorist groups.
This will be the first major meeting Shinde will attend after he took charge of the Home Ministry. He may also unfold his plan of action as the Home Minister and how to deal with the major internal security issues the country currently facing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown