Govt convenes DGPs, IGPs conference on Sept 6-8
New Delhi: Growing activities of terror groups, Naxal violence and increased infiltration attempts from across the Indo-Pakistan border are high on the agenda of a three-day conference of the country`s top police brass beginning here on September 6.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will deliberate with DGPs and IGPs on ways to combat terror and other emerging threats, strengthening of counter terrorism capabilities like possibility of setting up of NCTC and enhancing border and coastal security.
Ongoing offensives against Maoists, activities of Pakistan-based terror groups, enhancing intelligence capabilities and situation in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast will also be deliberated threadbare.
The meeting will review the information gathering mechanism -- both human and technical intelligence, its proper sharing and necessary action, how to deal with economic offences, especially fake currency notes, modernisation of police force, procurement of arms and ammunition and filling up of police vacancies, particularly constabulary.
The recent Pune serial blasts may figure prominently in the discussion and the top police officials are expected to take stock of the growing activities of some terrorist groups.
This will be the first major meeting Shinde will attend after he took charge of the Home Ministry. He may also unfold his plan of action as the Home Minister and how to deal with the major internal security issues the country currently facing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days