Govt declares Chakra awards for bravery
New Delhi: The government on Thursday announced the names of recipients of the gallantry awards that will be given by President Pratibha Patil on Independence Day.
According to reports, this time the government has decided to confer the highest peacetime gallantry award, the Ashok Chakra, to Major Mohit Sharma and Major D Srikumar.
Both will be conferred with the award posthumously.
Besides, four Shaurya Chakra and 131 Kirti Chakra awards have also been announced.
Major Mohit Sharma, a resident of Ghaziabad, was killed in a fierce gun-battle with the militants in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- France opens manslaughter inquiry into EgyptAir crash
- BGR-34 - Ayurvedic anti-diabetic drug launched by CSIR!
- After Dalai Lama met Lady Gaga, China warns of his motives
- Ishrat Jahan encounter case: GK Pillai knew of changes in affidavit, says inquiry panel
- Army, CRPF squabble over who killed Pampore terrorists