Govt declares Chakra awards for bravery
New Delhi: The government on Thursday announced the names of recipients of the gallantry awards that will be given by President Pratibha Patil on Independence Day.
According to reports, this time the government has decided to confer the highest peacetime gallantry award, the Ashok Chakra, to Major Mohit Sharma and Major D Srikumar.
Both will be conferred with the award posthumously.
Besides, four Shaurya Chakra and 131 Kirti Chakra awards have also been announced.
Major Mohit Sharma, a resident of Ghaziabad, was killed in a fierce gun-battle with the militants in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31