Govt declares Chakra awards for bravery
New Delhi: The government on Thursday announced the names of recipients of the gallantry awards that will be given by President Pratibha Patil on Independence Day.
According to reports, this time the government has decided to confer the highest peacetime gallantry award, the Ashok Chakra, to Major Mohit Sharma and Major D Srikumar.
Both will be conferred with the award posthumously.
Besides, four Shaurya Chakra and 131 Kirti Chakra awards have also been announced.
Major Mohit Sharma, a resident of Ghaziabad, was killed in a fierce gun-battle with the militants in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?