Govt defends mediation policy during hostage crisis
New Delhi: Days after release of two high profile persons was secured from Maoist captivity, the government Wednesday justified the policy of mediation for freeing hostages but said it was ready to hold consultations with states on having a uniform hostage policy in this regard.
"We must take a practical view of having mediation and negotiations...Mediation is a part of every government...Even Israel does it as it released 1,000 prisoners to get one soldier," Home Minister P Chidambaram said replying to a short notice question in the Rajya Sabha.
The statement comes against the backdrop of release of abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon in Chhattisgarh and MLA Jhina Hikaka in Odisha secured from Maoists through mediation.
Referring to release of Menon, Chidambaram said Chhattisgarh government had appointed mediators and considered it practical to do so.
At the same time, he said, "One should know where and how to draw the line..."
Chidambaram said, "I have advised Home Ministry officials to have consultations with states on whether we can have a uniform hostage policy."
He, however said, "I cannot say how this hostage policy evolves....."
He said the Centre has been playing a crucial role in helping states resolve hostage crisis as it was a shared responsibility. "My view has been, my view is and my view will be that dealing with militancy, insurgency and extremism is a shared responsibility...," he said.
Prakash Javadekar (BJP) earlier said that there should be no swap deal in hostage situations and quoted Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh as saying that if he (Raman) was taken hostage, there should be no swap deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha