Govt demolishes posts aiding Pak-based militants
New Delhi: Hundreds of structures constructed along the India-Pakistan border to illuminate the forward areas to check infiltration have turned into watch posts for the militants to monitor movement of Indian troops, prompting the government to order their demolition.
The Border Security Force had constructed 186-km border bund along the international border in Jammu and Kashmir in early 2000s to safeguard its workforce, engaged in construction of fencing and flood lighting, against small arms
firing from Pakistan side.
A total of 176.04 km Border Fencing Lights (BFL) were installed to illuminate the international border and the work was completed in March 2006.
Later, in a bizarre tell of tale, it was found that the bund was used by anti-national elements and militants at night to observe or target troops, forcing the government to order the demolition of bund.
"So far, 116 km of bund has been demolished," a Home Ministry official said.
According to officials, at least 85 infiltration bids have taken place along the border in Jammu and Kashmir till November.
A total of 235 Pakistan-based terrorists attempted to infiltrate this year, but only 52 could succeed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok