Govt denies guilty nailed in Army Chief letter leak case
New Delhi: The government has rubbished reports that claimed a Joint Secretary-rank officer in the Cabinet Secretariat had leaked Army Chief General VK Singh`s controversial letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the poor state of preparedness of his force.
Government sources described the reports as incorrect.
The reports had also claimed that the lady officer was shunted out after she was found guilty of leaking the letter.
The probe into the leakage conducted by the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) had also cleared Gen Singh of any wrongdoing in the episode, highly-placed sources had said.
Meanwhile, the issue is likely to rock Parliament today.
In his letter, the Army Chief had highlighted the critical shortage of equipment and ammunition in artillery and armoured regiments.
As per reports, the female officer belonging to the Indian Economic Service (IES) was handling the charge of intelligence agencies under the Cabinet Secretariat and was nailed after interrogation of some suspected persons.
Reports had claimed that the officer had been repatriated to her parent cadre and further action could be taken against her for leaking such a sensitive document.
After the letter surfaced, both the Houses of Parliament were rocked by the issue and certain parties had demanded action against Gen Singh also.
At that time, Gen Singh had said that the incident should be treated as "high treason" and the source of leakage should be dealt with "ruthlessly".
"The leakage of the letter should be treated as high treason. Cynical approach to tarnish my reputation should stop. Sources of the leakage should be found and dealt with ruthlessly," Gen Singh had said in a statement.
Following the incident government had asked the Intelligence Bureau (IB) to investigate the matter and find out the person responsible for it.
The letter was leaked to the media after Gen Singh made a sensational disclosure in an interview that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by a retired Lt General for favouring a sub-standard defence deal regarding purchase of Army trucks.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’