Govt denies guilty nailed in Army Chief letter leak case
New Delhi: The government has rubbished reports that claimed a Joint Secretary-rank officer in the Cabinet Secretariat had leaked Army Chief General VK Singh`s controversial letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the poor state of preparedness of his force.
Government sources described the reports as incorrect.
The reports had also claimed that the lady officer was shunted out after she was found guilty of leaking the letter.
The probe into the leakage conducted by the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) had also cleared Gen Singh of any wrongdoing in the episode, highly-placed sources had said.
Meanwhile, the issue is likely to rock Parliament today.
In his letter, the Army Chief had highlighted the critical shortage of equipment and ammunition in artillery and armoured regiments.
As per reports, the female officer belonging to the Indian Economic Service (IES) was handling the charge of intelligence agencies under the Cabinet Secretariat and was nailed after interrogation of some suspected persons.
Reports had claimed that the officer had been repatriated to her parent cadre and further action could be taken against her for leaking such a sensitive document.
After the letter surfaced, both the Houses of Parliament were rocked by the issue and certain parties had demanded action against Gen Singh also.
At that time, Gen Singh had said that the incident should be treated as "high treason" and the source of leakage should be dealt with "ruthlessly".
"The leakage of the letter should be treated as high treason. Cynical approach to tarnish my reputation should stop. Sources of the leakage should be found and dealt with ruthlessly," Gen Singh had said in a statement.
Following the incident government had asked the Intelligence Bureau (IB) to investigate the matter and find out the person responsible for it.
The letter was leaked to the media after Gen Singh made a sensational disclosure in an interview that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by a retired Lt General for favouring a sub-standard defence deal regarding purchase of Army trucks.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter