Govt development programmes must be more transparent: CBI
New Delhi: With government`s social welfare schemes mired by allegations of corruption, CBI on Monday said development programmes initiated by any government should provide more transparency and accountability.
Inaugurating the second Interpol Global Programme on Anti Corruption and Asset Recovery here, Special Director VK Gupta said systems and procedures which are opaque, complicated, centralised and discretionary are a fertile breeding ground for the evil of corruption.
"The design of any government`s development programme should provide more transparency and accountability," he said.
Addressing the gathering of officials from nine countries, including Maldives, Malaysia, Fiji, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bhutan and Nepal and Interpol, Gupta said the law enforcement agencies must engage with each at different levels to effectively block all physical escape routes for those fugitives who are blatantly indulging in corrupt practices.
CBI is probing number of cases including CWG scam, Aircel Maxis takeover, 2G spectrum among others where proceeds of crime have allegedly been routed through different countries.
Gupta said the need of the hour is international cooperation among law enforcement agencies as the battle against global corruption has to be fought at many levels.
Special Director Saleem Ali said asset recovery and impounding of proceeds of corruption is important as it is a factor which hits hard those indulging in corrupt activities.
He also said that an `ethical ambiance` is required in society which promotes transparency, accountability and equitable distribution of powers to combat corruption.
The five day programme being organised by CBI will be addressed by experts from Interpol, CBI, NIA, FBI, World Bank, Europol, CFSL and other law enforcement organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy
- Sonam Kapoor in awe of Anamika Khanna, stuns in beige drape- Pic you cannot miss!
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! When The Great Khali crushed two opponents in under a minute!
- Microsoft improves OneDrive photos, adds 'Pokemon Go' detector