Govt didn’t inform about Afzal Guru’s hanging: Family
Srinagar: A controversy has erupted over whether the government informed Afzal Guru’s family about the decision to hang the 2001 Parliament attack convict beforehand or not.
The government claims the family of Afzal Guru was informed about his hanging by the Tihar authorities through Speed Post. However the family refutes this.
Afzal Guru`s family said it had not been informed of the date when he would be hanged. Guru was convicted of plotting the December 13, 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament and sentenced to death in 2002.
Aijaz Guru, Afzal`s brother, told reporters on Saturday that the family had not received any letter or information from the government about Afzal`s hanging, and only learnt of it from reports on TV.
Aijaz said the government of India must return the body of his brother so that he is given a proper and decent burial in his ancestral village.
"We have written a letter to district magistrate Baramulla seeking the state government`s help to get Afzal`s body", Aijaz said.
Hundreds of locals had gathered in Afzal`s ancestral Doabgah village near Sopore town on Saturday to offer `Gaibana Nimaz-e-Jinaza` (Funeral prayers in absentia).
Meanwhile, curfew continued without relaxation for the second day on Sunday in all ten district headquarters of the Valley and some other places in the state.
Police said curfew restrictions under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (pertaining to power to issue order in urgent cases of nuisance of apprehended danger) had been imposed here to maintain law and order in the wake of Afzal Guru`s hanging in Tihar jail on Saturday.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony