Govt didn’t inform about Afzal Guru’s hanging: Family
Srinagar: A controversy has erupted over whether the government informed Afzal Guru’s family about the decision to hang the 2001 Parliament attack convict beforehand or not.
The government claims the family of Afzal Guru was informed about his hanging by the Tihar authorities through Speed Post. However the family refutes this.
Afzal Guru`s family said it had not been informed of the date when he would be hanged. Guru was convicted of plotting the December 13, 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament and sentenced to death in 2002.
Aijaz Guru, Afzal`s brother, told reporters on Saturday that the family had not received any letter or information from the government about Afzal`s hanging, and only learnt of it from reports on TV.
Aijaz said the government of India must return the body of his brother so that he is given a proper and decent burial in his ancestral village.
"We have written a letter to district magistrate Baramulla seeking the state government`s help to get Afzal`s body", Aijaz said.
Hundreds of locals had gathered in Afzal`s ancestral Doabgah village near Sopore town on Saturday to offer `Gaibana Nimaz-e-Jinaza` (Funeral prayers in absentia).
Meanwhile, curfew continued without relaxation for the second day on Sunday in all ten district headquarters of the Valley and some other places in the state.
Police said curfew restrictions under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (pertaining to power to issue order in urgent cases of nuisance of apprehended danger) had been imposed here to maintain law and order in the wake of Afzal Guru`s hanging in Tihar jail on Saturday.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price