Govt does not appoint or remove MCI chief: Health Minister Azad
New Delhi: A day after Medical Council of
India President Ketan Desai was arrested by CBI on alleged
corruption charges, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad
said the MCI has its own identity and the government does not
appoint or remove its chief.
"Let me tell you that this organisation, Medical Council
of India, has a separate identity. It has its own identity
under the Act of Parliament," Azad told reporters on the
sidelines of a function here.
He said the government and the Health Ministry does not
appoint the president or the chairman of MCI and "once he is
appointed, we cannot remove him also".
"Neither we appoint him nor we can remove him. It is an
elected body and its office bearers are elected by its state
units," the minister explained.
Asked whether his Ministry would intervene in the matter,
he promptly replied, "CBI has already intervened."
CBI arrested Desai last night for allegedly accepting a
bribe of Rs two crore to grant recognition to a medical
college in Punjab.
The main objectives of MCI include maintenance of uniform
standards of medical education and recommendation for
recognition/de-recognition of medical qualifications of
medical institutions of India or foreign countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez