Govt does not know when the new decade began: Yechury
New Delhi: When did the new decade begin?
This question was posed before the government by CPI-M leader
Sitaram Yechury in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
Yechury raised the question while pointing out that the
opening lines of President Pratiba Patil`s address to
Parliament this year were the same as in 2010.
He said the speech, which is vetted by the Union Cabinet,
talks about beginning of a new decade. The same sentence was
there in the last year`s speech of the President, which marks
beginning of the first session every year.
"This government is in a sense of stupor...it is unable to
make up its mind when the decade begins," he said.
Alleging that the government was non-serious about
addressing the problem of inflation, Yechury said the
government was firmly committed to controlling inflation
without hurting growth rate.
The promise this year was also a repetition of the
President`s address of 2009, he said.
As Yechury was trying to find fault with the government,
saying it was following elitist policies, Rajiv Shukla (Cong)
rose to counter him.
Shukla, who is Vice-President of the Board of Control for
Cricket in India, said the CPI(M) leader watched the maximum
number of IPL cricket matches.
His retort was to Yechury`s remark that two Indias are in
the making - IPL India and BPL (Below Poverty Line) India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day