Govt does not know when the new decade began: Yechury
New Delhi: When did the new decade begin?
This question was posed before the government by CPI-M leader
Sitaram Yechury in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
Yechury raised the question while pointing out that the
opening lines of President Pratiba Patil`s address to
Parliament this year were the same as in 2010.
He said the speech, which is vetted by the Union Cabinet,
talks about beginning of a new decade. The same sentence was
there in the last year`s speech of the President, which marks
beginning of the first session every year.
"This government is in a sense of stupor...it is unable to
make up its mind when the decade begins," he said.
Alleging that the government was non-serious about
addressing the problem of inflation, Yechury said the
government was firmly committed to controlling inflation
without hurting growth rate.
The promise this year was also a repetition of the
President`s address of 2009, he said.
As Yechury was trying to find fault with the government,
saying it was following elitist policies, Rajiv Shukla (Cong)
rose to counter him.
Shukla, who is Vice-President of the Board of Control for
Cricket in India, said the CPI(M) leader watched the maximum
number of IPL cricket matches.
His retort was to Yechury`s remark that two Indias are in
the making - IPL India and BPL (Below Poverty Line) India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje