Govt errs in key GoM`s decision; corrects it after 20 months
New Delhi: Officers of the rank of Joint Secretaries will be also covered under a key directive to CBI, CVC and other departments in probing corruption with the government rectifying an error 20 months after it crept into an office order.
A Group of Ministers(GoM), which was then headed by Pranab Mukherjee when he was Finance Minister, had in its report submitted to the government recommended that refusal to grant permission to CBI among others to probe a corrupt official "of the rank of Joint Secretary and above" will have to be put up to the Prime Minister. The recommendations of the GoM were accepted by the government.
Following this, the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) had in September 2011 issued an office memorandum for implementation to all central government departments and CBI mentioning the word "above" the level of Joint Secretary in place of "of". This essentially meant that JS-level officers did not come under the scope of the directive.
Two days back, the DoPT issued a corrigendum saying the word "above the rank of Joint Secretary" should be read as "of the rank of Joint Secretary".
Under Section 6 (A) of Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act, 1946, which provides for safeguarding senior public officials against undue and vexatious harassment by the investigating agency, CBI shall not conduct any enquiry or probe into any offence of alleged corruption against an officer of the level of JS and above.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof