Govt expects agreement with some NE insurgents this year: PC
New Delhi: Government expects to reach an
agreement this year with some of the 9 insurgent groups in the
North-East which are in talks with the Centre, Home Minister P
Chidambaram said on Wednesday.
"We are holding talks with nine insurgent groups of the
North-East and are expecting to reach agreements with some of
them during the year. The government is open to talks with
groups which abjure violence," Chidambaram said while
addressing a meeting of the parliamentary Consultative
Committee of the Ministry here.
He said the incidents of violence and the casualties in
2010 were less than the previous year and the situation in the
region has improved remarkably.
Pointing towards over 200 ethnic groups in the
North-East, Chidambaram said "the Constitution of India is
flexible and resilient enough to accommodate the aspirations
of the people with distinct languages, dialects and
socio-cultural identity in the region."
"These groups want recognition of their identity and
participation in governance. This aspiration can be fulfilled
under the provisions of the Indian Constitution," he said.
Chidambaram expressed the government`s desire to
strengthen the Autonomous District Councils in the region by
providing them with necessary powers and funds.
He said "such Councils have to give adequate
representation to minority ethnic groups. These must be
pluralistic in structure and must work on the principle of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister