Govt expects agreement with some NE insurgents this year: PC
New Delhi: Government expects to reach an
agreement this year with some of the 9 insurgent groups in the
North-East which are in talks with the Centre, Home Minister P
Chidambaram said on Wednesday.
"We are holding talks with nine insurgent groups of the
North-East and are expecting to reach agreements with some of
them during the year. The government is open to talks with
groups which abjure violence," Chidambaram said while
addressing a meeting of the parliamentary Consultative
Committee of the Ministry here.
He said the incidents of violence and the casualties in
2010 were less than the previous year and the situation in the
region has improved remarkably.
Pointing towards over 200 ethnic groups in the
North-East, Chidambaram said "the Constitution of India is
flexible and resilient enough to accommodate the aspirations
of the people with distinct languages, dialects and
socio-cultural identity in the region."
"These groups want recognition of their identity and
participation in governance. This aspiration can be fulfilled
under the provisions of the Indian Constitution," he said.
Chidambaram expressed the government`s desire to
strengthen the Autonomous District Councils in the region by
providing them with necessary powers and funds.
He said "such Councils have to give adequate
representation to minority ethnic groups. These must be
pluralistic in structure and must work on the principle of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch