Govt extends date for clearing cases by panel replacing MCI
New Delhi: Government on Sunday extended by a month the date for giving permission for new medical colleges and renewal of recognition of existing institutions after a six-member panel of doctors that replaced the Medical Council of India made a request in this regard.
Now, the date for consideration of giving the letter of permission for new colleges and renewal of permission for colleges already approved has been extended from June 15 to
The panel, who took over after the MCI, facing allegations of corruption, was dissolved on May 15, are evaluating 87 recommendations made by the erstwhile Council regarding renewal of permission, setting up of new colleges and recognition of the institutions.
The date was extended after the Board of Governors wrote to the Health Ministry saying they need time to evaluate the proposals in respect of undergraduate courses as they took
office only on May 24.
"Appreciating the concern expressed by the Board of Governors, the Government of India has agreed to the proposal made by the Board and extended the date for grant of
permission for undergraduate courses for the academic session 2010-11 with regard to pending cases under section 10-A of MCI Act 1956," a senior Health Ministry official said today.
"As far as postgraduate medical courses in super- speciality are concerned, the last date for grant of permission continues to be July 15 for the academic year 2010-11 as per existing regulations," the official said.
There are 87 proposals before the governing body for the academic year 2010-11.
The six-member panel is headed by SK Sarin and the members are Ranjit Roy Chowdhary, Sita Naik, Gautam Sen, Devi Shetty and RL Salhan.
The panel will be in charge till the next one year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre