Govt failed to bring back Sarabjit: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday accused the Indian government of failing to bring death row convict Sarabjit Singh, who is jailed in Pakistan, back home and suggested the Manmohan Singh dispensation adopt an "aggressive and offensive" attitude with the neighbouring country.
"Yesterday, there were reports quoting the Pakistani media that Sarabjit Singh has been released. People in India started celebrations at this news when it was reported that Surjeet is being released. How did Sarabjit of the night before become Surjeet in the morning?" BJP spokesperson Jagat Prakash Nadda said.
He asked the External Affairs Ministry to clarify its stand on this new development and accused it of not being "aggressive and offensive" enough with Pakistan.
"This is a sensitive and emotional issue. The country wants to know why the office of Pakistan President Asif Zardari took after five long hours to deny that Sarabjit is not being released. And why did our External Affairs Minister SM Krishna take 18 hours to speak on the issue?" Nadda said.
BJP asked the government of India to clarify whether Sarabjit was to be released and there was a change in plans and Surjeet`s name came up under some pressure.
BJP also asked the government to use its office to get the death sentence of Sarabjit commuted to life sentence. "In all fairness of the case, Sarabjit should be released," Nadda said.
The Opposition also wondered if the arrest of November 2008 Mumbai terror attack handler Abu Jundal had led Pakistan to change plans and release Surjeet instead of Sarabjit and asked the government to come clear on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow