Govt favours reforms for implementing MGNREGA
New Delhi: Identifying major challenges in
implementation of rural employment guarantee scheme, government Thursday came out with a set of reforms that include payment of unemployment allowance if a legally entitled worker
is not given the promised job on time.
The reform note brought out by the Rural Development
Ministry include solutions to reducing delay in payments to
workers, providing requisite number of days of work as per
demand, improving quality of assets created under MGNREGA and
their relevance to the livelihood of the poor and ensuring full wages stipulated under the programme.
Noting that MGNREGA promises that "if you are not
provided work within 15 days of your applying for work, you
will be provided unemployment allowance," the reform note says
that in case the states "fail to provide work within 15 days",
workers who applied for work "must be paid unemployment
The note that summarises nine major challenges and
solutions to MGNREGA implementation and placed in public
domain to get comments also recommends regular flow of funds,
strengthened grievance redressal mechanisms and steps to
reduce workers` migration to urban areas.
In a foreword note, Rural Development Minister Jairam
Ramesh said "these reform measures do not involve any
legislative amendment and can be put into effect through
executive action by the Centre and the states".
"To begin with, these reforms could be implemented in 2000
of the poorest blocks of the country, especially those with
high concentration of SC/ST population," the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days