Govt favours reforms for implementing MGNREGA
New Delhi: Identifying major challenges in
implementation of rural employment guarantee scheme, government Thursday came out with a set of reforms that include payment of unemployment allowance if a legally entitled worker
is not given the promised job on time.
The reform note brought out by the Rural Development
Ministry include solutions to reducing delay in payments to
workers, providing requisite number of days of work as per
demand, improving quality of assets created under MGNREGA and
their relevance to the livelihood of the poor and ensuring full wages stipulated under the programme.
Noting that MGNREGA promises that "if you are not
provided work within 15 days of your applying for work, you
will be provided unemployment allowance," the reform note says
that in case the states "fail to provide work within 15 days",
workers who applied for work "must be paid unemployment
The note that summarises nine major challenges and
solutions to MGNREGA implementation and placed in public
domain to get comments also recommends regular flow of funds,
strengthened grievance redressal mechanisms and steps to
reduce workers` migration to urban areas.
In a foreword note, Rural Development Minister Jairam
Ramesh said "these reform measures do not involve any
legislative amendment and can be put into effect through
executive action by the Centre and the states".
"To begin with, these reforms could be implemented in 2000
of the poorest blocks of the country, especially those with
high concentration of SC/ST population," the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi