Govt for buying weapons on behalf of states to speedup process
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday said it
proposes to procure weapons on behalf of the states in a bid
to quicken the procurement process.
"Most of the requirement of weaponry of the state
governments is being met through various Ordnance Factories
under the Ordnance Factory Board.
"Demand of all states and Union Territories is being
called for annually, consolidated and discussed with Ordnance
Factory Board in the annual Target Fixation meeting," Minister
of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written
reply to Lok Sabha.
He said for the financial year 2010-11, Target
Fixation meeting with OFB had been held on November 13.
Requirement of weaponry of the state police forces
which are not in production range of the OFB is facilitated by
the Central government, the minister said.
This facilitation is being done through issue of
import permission, Customs Duty Exemption Certificate, No
Objection Certificate for import licence, supplying relevant
technical information such as qualitative requirements and to
extent feasible clubbing of the requirement of the states to
any of the ongoing procurement process by the central
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city