Govt for buying weapons on behalf of states to speedup process
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday said it
proposes to procure weapons on behalf of the states in a bid
to quicken the procurement process.
"Most of the requirement of weaponry of the state
governments is being met through various Ordnance Factories
under the Ordnance Factory Board.
"Demand of all states and Union Territories is being
called for annually, consolidated and discussed with Ordnance
Factory Board in the annual Target Fixation meeting," Minister
of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written
reply to Lok Sabha.
He said for the financial year 2010-11, Target
Fixation meeting with OFB had been held on November 13.
Requirement of weaponry of the state police forces
which are not in production range of the OFB is facilitated by
the Central government, the minister said.
This facilitation is being done through issue of
import permission, Customs Duty Exemption Certificate, No
Objection Certificate for import licence, supplying relevant
technical information such as qualitative requirements and to
extent feasible clubbing of the requirement of the states to
any of the ongoing procurement process by the central
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!