Govt for deterrent punishment for gang-rape accused
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the barbaric gang-rape incident here, the government on Thursday said it is pressing for punishment for the accused so that it becomes a deterrent for others.
"As a father of three daughters, I am interested in getting a deterrent punishment. We are pressing for that," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters outside Parliament here.
He said that police will be stricter in dealing with such cases. When asked whether the incident will be forgotten soon and turn into another statistic, Shinde said, "How can we forget it... It could happen to my daughters also."
The Home Minister had met Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar yesterday during which it was decided that a drive will be launched to ensure removal of tinted glasses and curtains from public buses in the Capital.
The meeting had taken place after Congress president Sonia Gandhi shot off a strong-worded letters to Home Minister Shinde and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, saying it was a "matter of shame" that such incidents happen with painful regularity.
The girl was raped allegedly by six men in a moving bus, which had tinted glass and curtains on it on Sunday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy