Govt for national consensus on Land Bill: Ramesh
Hyderabad: Underlining the importance of land acquisition related tribal issues, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has said that the government is trying to evolve a national consensus on the proposed Land Acquisition Bill.
Addressing a news conference here on Saturday, Ramesh said there are different views on the proposed bill, many people welcomed it while many criticised it.
"I know there are different views on this Bill (Land Acquisition Bill). But through a process of debate, we will arrive at a national consensus on this legislation," he added.
Ramesh further said the new bill will not only compensate the farmers but also the landless people, whose livelihoods will be lost due to land acquisition.
"I hope that very soon we will have a sensitive Land Acquisition R&R (rehabilitation and resettlement) Bill that is sensitive to the needs of farmers. Let me tell you, this new bill not only compensates farmers and land owners but it also compensates the landless and those whose livelihoods will be lost when land has been acquired," he added.
Mentioning about the relief package in the proposed legislation, Ramesh said land acquisition process would not be completed till the rehabilitation and resettlement package is fully implemented.
"Land acquisition will not be completed till R&R package has been implemented because let me say, let me accept that in the last 60 years over 50 million people have been displaced because of industrial projects, all over India. Out of the 50 million almost two-thirds are tribal population and many of these have been displaced not once, they are subject to multiple displacements," said Ramesh.
Ramesh said that such land acquisitions have been one of the main contributors to the growth of Maoist activities in central India.
"To my mind, this has been one of the main contributors to the growth of Naxalism (Maoism) in central India. So we must address issues of tribal communities more sensitively. Land acquisition, mining, industry, infrastructure, that is what I meant by saying, you know, the modern phase, unless we are sensitive to these issues, we will not be getting a grip on what the emerging phenomenon is," added Ramesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy