Govt for release of Indians on board MV Suez
New Delhi: Government Wednesday said it was
making all efforts to seek the release of six Indian hostages
on board an Egyptian cargo ship which was hijacked by Somali
pirates in the Gulf of Aden.
Maintaining that the Shipping Ministry is the nodal
authority in all cases involving Indians taken hostage by
pirates, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said the Director
General of Shipping was pursuing all such cases.
"Owner of MV Suez, owned by an Egyptian company, had
promised to take action to free hostages but nothing was done.
The DG Shipping continues his efforts," Rao twitted in the
micro blogging website Twitter last night.
The Panama-flagged vessel was captured by the pirates
on August 2 last year.
The ship`s crew includes four Pakistanis, six Indians,
four Sri Lankans and 11 Egyptians.
The Somali pirates have reportedly demanded USD 4
million for release of the six Indians. The pirates on board
the hijacked ship told Times Now that they were giving a
week-long deadline for meeting their demand.
"Our demand is ransom money. We want USD 4 million.
Last time we called the company we demanded the ransom. He
(owner) told us he did not want the ship or the crew. One week
is the maximum time. I will not say what we are going to do
next as we do not like talking to the media...", one of the
"Indian sailors are being tortured by the Somali
pirates," Ravindra Gula, one of the Indian sailors, said.
Another sailor N K Sharma, said he was appealing to
the government to intervene and negotiate their release.
Gula`s wife said, "There has been no substantial
action taken by the Indian government yet".
A report from Islamabad on Sunday quoting a statement
by leading Pakistani human rights activist Ansar Burney had
said that the pirates had demanded a ransom of over USD 2
million for release of four Pakistani sailors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video