Govt gets application for `NaMo Tea Party` trademark
New Delhi: As BJP moves ahead with its `chai pe charcha` initiative to amass support for its Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, efforts are underway by some of his supporters to actually register a trademark for `NaMo Tea Party`.
An application for registering `NaMo Tea Party` as a trademark has been submitted to the government by a grouping with the same name.
The `Chai pe Charcha` (discussion over tea) campaign was first launched by BJP to counter a jibe made by a Congress leader at Narendra Modi (NaMo) for selling tea in his earlier years. The trademark application has been filed by Ahmedabad- based Shailesh Tiwari, who calls himself convenor of `Namo Tea Party` movement.
When contacted, Tiwari told PTI over phone that the logic behind the move to get `NaMo Tea Party` trademark is to ensure that the idea is not taken by anyone else. There is no commercial motive behind the application, he added.
"The sole motive is to get Narendra Modi elected as Prime Minister by propagating Gujarat development model," he said.
Tiwari added that `NaMo Tea Party` movement is a grouping of professionals and was formally started in May 2013. It is estimated to have thousands of volunteers.
The trademark application was filed on February 6 under the category of `personal and social services rendered to meet the needs of individuals`, according to information available with the Controller General of Patents Design & Trade Marks.
The patents office comes under the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
Tiwari said BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi is mentoring the grouping.
As per its website, `NaMo (Narendra Modi) Tea Party` is a grassroots movement for good governance.
Modi has been Chief Minister of Gujarat since 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened