Govt grants ex-servicemen status to retired Paramilitary staff
New Delhi/Gurgaon: Bringing cheer to over four lakh retired personnel of paramilitary and central police forces, Government on Thursday gave its nod for granting them the status of ex-servicemen, enabling them to avail welfare benefits.
The new status for these retired personnel from forces like CRPF, CISF, BSF, ITBP and SSB will be read as "ex-central police personnel", on par with the defence forces recognition of "ex-servicemen" to its retired personnel.
"The proposal (of granting ex-servicemen status to paramilitary personnel) has been approved by the Cabinet today. These personnel will be called as ex-central police personnel on the same footing as ex-servicemen in the defence forces," Union Home Minister announced during an event of paramilitary CISF in Delhi.
Earlier, at a CRPF function in Gurgaon, the Home Minister, who has served as a police sub inspector, said "paramilitary personnel, like defence forces, put their life at stake in the line of duty and there is no problem in granting them this honour."
With the status of "ex-servicemen", the retired personnel of these forces will be able to avail certain canteen and hospital facilities run by the government while they will be able to apply for jobs in the private sector who recognise "ex-servicemen" as a trained and suitable talent for their organisations.
Centre will also approach states to give benefits to the wards of these retired personnel in educational institutes and jobs.
There are more than four lakh retired paramilitary personnel in the country at present. The total strength of these forces is about eight lakh men and women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich