Govt hands over Rs 25 lakh compensation to Sarabjit`s family
New Delhi: The government has handed over a promised compensation of Rs 25 lakh to the family of martyred Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh.
After giving the cheque to the family, National Commission for Schedule Castes (SC) and Schedule Tribes (ST) vice-chairman Raj Kumar Verka said the amount was not enough for the bereaved family.
"I have handed over a cheque worth Rs 25 lakh, on the behalf of the India government, to this family from the Prime Minister`s Relief Fund. I think it is insufficient. I have requested the Indian Government to help them as much as possible," said Verka.
Sarabjit Singh succumbed to his injuries in Lahore`s government-run Jinnah Hospital almost a week after being attacked by six Pakistani prisoners inside the city`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Meanwhile, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial has appointed Justice Syed Mazhar Ali Akbar Naqvi to probe the incident.
However, Sarabjit Singh`s sister, Dalbir Kaur, was dismissive of the judicial commission set up in Pakistan to probe the murder.
"They have killed my innocent brother. I am not satisfied with it. I don`t think we will get justice. I would ask them to return to us belongings of my brother," said Kaur.
Singh was arrested in Pakistan in 1991 and sentenced to death for spying and carrying out four bomb blasts that killed 14 people. But his family maintains that he was an innocent farmer who was arrested after drunkenly wandering over the border.
In an apparent revenge attack, a convicted Pakistani militant Sanaullah Ranjay also lost his life due to multiple organ failure after he was badly beaten in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kot Bhalwal Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video