Govt hands over Rs 25 lakh compensation to Sarabjit`s family
New Delhi: The government has handed over a promised compensation of Rs 25 lakh to the family of martyred Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh.
After giving the cheque to the family, National Commission for Schedule Castes (SC) and Schedule Tribes (ST) vice-chairman Raj Kumar Verka said the amount was not enough for the bereaved family.
"I have handed over a cheque worth Rs 25 lakh, on the behalf of the India government, to this family from the Prime Minister`s Relief Fund. I think it is insufficient. I have requested the Indian Government to help them as much as possible," said Verka.
Sarabjit Singh succumbed to his injuries in Lahore`s government-run Jinnah Hospital almost a week after being attacked by six Pakistani prisoners inside the city`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Meanwhile, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial has appointed Justice Syed Mazhar Ali Akbar Naqvi to probe the incident.
However, Sarabjit Singh`s sister, Dalbir Kaur, was dismissive of the judicial commission set up in Pakistan to probe the murder.
"They have killed my innocent brother. I am not satisfied with it. I don`t think we will get justice. I would ask them to return to us belongings of my brother," said Kaur.
Singh was arrested in Pakistan in 1991 and sentenced to death for spying and carrying out four bomb blasts that killed 14 people. But his family maintains that he was an innocent farmer who was arrested after drunkenly wandering over the border.
In an apparent revenge attack, a convicted Pakistani militant Sanaullah Ranjay also lost his life due to multiple organ failure after he was badly beaten in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kot Bhalwal Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India