Govt has failed to protect nation`s honour: BJP
New Delhi: Stepping up pressure on the Centre over the prevailing tension along the LoC, BJP on Tuesday attacked government saying it has failed to protect nation`s honour and evoke confidence among the people.
"This government has shown that it is neither capable of protecting the boundaries nor the dignity of its citizens. This government is not doing anything substantial and does not evoke any confidence in the minds of the people," senior party leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters here.
Asked to comment on views expressed by other political parties that war is the only option left with Pakistan, he said it should be decided by government and Army.
"This option is to be decided by Army and government. But if necessary to save the honour of the country, if it is decided by Army or by government, we will support it," Joshi said.
He observed that government`s policy regarding national security is very weak and it is not treating Pakistan the way it should be treated.
"Government must answer why it is not happening, why this government is behaving like this, why are they silent, why are they not assuring the country that it is safe with them," he said.
Joshi, CPI leader AB Bardhan and JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav were interacting with reporters during a joint press conference to oppose the Centre`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail.
Replying to a question on the mutilation of dead bodies of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troopers, Bardhan said, "It`s inhuman and this is a war crime. It`s against Geneva Convention. Do we treat soldiers like this? This is a question of national sovereignty."
Joshi also said Army should take appropriate action and weed out its weak commanders in wake of the incident.
"We want to tell Army that it should weed out such weak commanders. Someone beheaded (our soldiers) and there is no response to it. Army should have immediately responded in a dignified and appropriate manner, which did not happen," the BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days