Govt has no info on missing 11 Pakistanis
New Delhi: Government has no information if
11 Pakistani nationals, who came to India for medical
treatment, have gone back, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of state for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said
this when enquired about the Pakistani citizens disappearing
in the country after medical treatment.
"As per information available, departure of 11 Pakistan
nationals who had come on medical visas...could not be
confirmed," he said in a written reply.
According to the data, one Pakistani national has been
missing since 2008, three in 2009, two in 2010 and five have
disappeared after medical treatment in 2011, he said.
Medical visas are granted to Pakistan nationals whose
sole purpose is to seek medical treatment in established
hospitals in India and who have obtained prior appointment for
908 Pakistan nationals had visited India in 2009 on
medical visas. 27 citizens out of them had not returned till
July 2011. However, since then, the departure of 24 of the 27
Pakistan nationals has been confirmed. Steps have been taken
to verify departure of the remaining three, he said.
He also said foreign nationals who visit India on medical
visas are required to get themselves registered with the
Foreign Regional Registration Office/Foreigners
Registration Office within seven days from the date of arrival
The FRROs/FROs are also tasked with the
responsibility of surveillance and vigil on the movement and
activities of such Pakistani nationals, he said.
These powers to identify and deport illegally staying
foreign nationals have also been delegated to the State
Governments/Union Territory Administrations.
In reply to another question, the minister said "till
December 2010, 13,747 Afghan nationals, 8,319 Pakistan
citizens and 28,667 Bangladeshis who entered India on valid
travel documents have been found to be overstaying."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire