Govt has walked the `full mile` on Lokpal: Singhvi
New Delhi: Taking on the Opposition over their reservations about the Lokpal Bill passed by the Lok Sabha, senior Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi said that the Lokpal as conceived by them would be a mammoth that would not be in anybody’s control.
Putting forth the government’s defence in the Rajya Sabha where the bill was tabled today for discussion and vote, Singhvi asked the Opposition: “First answer the fundamental question, do you want to pass the bill or not?”
“Opposition must explain if it wants to pass the bill. BJP is trying to mislead the nation. They should clarify their stand…Please be honest in your conviction,” he quipped.
“You want to subsume the CBI, CVC, central govt charter under the Lokpal?...Thank god you didn’t say that give judgement by Lokpal!” Singhvi said.
The firebrand lawyer politician further slammed the Opposition for supporting the creation of mammoth that would not be in anybody’s control.
“Our conception is of mutual interlocking checks and balances between the holy trinity of CBI, CVC and Lokpal,” Singhvi stressed.
On the issue of investigative powers to the Lokpal, he said, “This bill for the first time abolishes prior sanction for investigation. This bill create a Chinese wall…on Lokpal referred cases, Lokpal will control the investigation.”
“The Lokpal has been given fully supervisory power over the CBI. We have given great control to Lokpal,” Singhvi said to back the bill.
On the selection procedure of the Lokpal, he questioned the Leader of Opposition’s view on the matter. “Can I ask him which selection committee in the country has he seen where the government doesn’t have a slight majority?”
Singhvi stressed that there has to be checks-and-balances and the political executive must have a say as it is answerable to the Parliament and said: “Please don’t destroy institutions. There is a method in the madness we have in India. These are the systems which have endured the test of time.”
“Do you want to destroy the bill on imaginary insinuations? My friend (Arun Jaitley) wants to play Narad Muni,” he added to the amusement of the House.
Singhvi also rejected the charge that the bill seeks to destroy the federal structure while asserting that ‘under Article 253 of the Constitution` the Parliament has the power to make a law for a part or whole of India’.
Making an important point, he said that the fundamental structures of governance can’t be altered for the sake of Lokpal, while also advising Jaitley to not make arguments for the sake of elections.
Hitting back at Jaitely for calling the government’s Lokpal Bill a constitutional cocktail, Singhvi said, “I know both me and my friend are teetotallers but your constitutional cocktail doesn’t have the punch.”
On the issue of reservation, Singhvi claimed that the bill doesn’t have any reservation at all.
“It is a statutory mandate to provide diverse representation considering the pluralistic diversity of the country. Reservation means there ‘shall’ be reservation but the bill only speaks of ‘someone or all’. The bill says that of the eight members on the Lokpal panel, not less than four must be ‘some or all’ of OBCs, minorities, women, SC and STs,” he pointed out.
Singhvi further said, “We (government) have the conviction. We have walked the entire mile…we are pioneers in social engineering. You (BJP) have given certificates of unconstitutionality in advance, perhaps because it doesn’t find favour with your 50-year-old idea on the diversity of India.”
“You don’t want the Lokpal be passed and you don’t want constitutional status for Lokpal and you want to pretend that you want a strong Lokpal?” He said cornering the BJP.
“Your definition of strong (Lokpal) is different from mine. History will not forgive you. We are making a new model and you are in search of the elusive perfect to deny the good,” Singhvi added.
Prodding the Opposition, especially the BJP to support the bill, Singhvi said, “It is easy to criticise and destroy but creation is difficult. It will take 30 seconds for you to pass the bill. If you don’t do it (pass the bill) then the cat will be out of the bag, which means that you don’t want to have a strong Lokpal Bill.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27