Govt holding talks on Judicial Accountability Bill
New Delhi: Government is holding
consultations with stakeholders on the Judicial Accountability
Bill and has listed the matter for discussion in Parliament,
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid said on Tuesday.
Hoping that the bill will be passed by the House after
due consultations, Khurshid said the government needs to
discuss few things with stakeholders before taking a final
"Consultation is on (over Judicial Accountability
Bill)... We need to consult few things with the stakeholders
and we will do that. We expect that it will be passed by the
House after due consultation," he told reporters here.
Khurshid was asked about the status of the Judicial
Accountability Bill and whether government intends to pass it
in the ongoing Budget Session of Parliament.
"Actually we had introduced the bill and discussions have
also started on it. But now since we have to discuss this
again in the House, it is listed (there)," he added.
Khurshid, who also holds the charge of Minority Affairs
Ministry, while addressing the Annual Conference of State
Minorities Commission here earlier, had stressed on the need
for judicial reforms in the country.
To address the legitimate expectations and rightful
aspirations of various minority groups in the country, he said
that both police and judicial reforms should go hand in hand.
"Police reform is overdue and several state governments
are duly reflecting on it. But there is another important
dimension to it... Something which has to go hand in hand with
police reform is the judicial reforms. Something for which I
am responsible under the capacity of Law Minister," he said.
The Conference was headed by M K Narayanan, Governor of
West Bengal and attended by Minority Commission Chairman
Wajahat Habibullah and Minister of State for Minority Affairs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown