Govt holding talks on Judicial Accountability Bill
New Delhi: Government is holding
consultations with stakeholders on the Judicial Accountability
Bill and has listed the matter for discussion in Parliament,
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid said on Tuesday.
Hoping that the bill will be passed by the House after
due consultations, Khurshid said the government needs to
discuss few things with stakeholders before taking a final
"Consultation is on (over Judicial Accountability
Bill)... We need to consult few things with the stakeholders
and we will do that. We expect that it will be passed by the
House after due consultation," he told reporters here.
Khurshid was asked about the status of the Judicial
Accountability Bill and whether government intends to pass it
in the ongoing Budget Session of Parliament.
"Actually we had introduced the bill and discussions have
also started on it. But now since we have to discuss this
again in the House, it is listed (there)," he added.
Khurshid, who also holds the charge of Minority Affairs
Ministry, while addressing the Annual Conference of State
Minorities Commission here earlier, had stressed on the need
for judicial reforms in the country.
To address the legitimate expectations and rightful
aspirations of various minority groups in the country, he said
that both police and judicial reforms should go hand in hand.
"Police reform is overdue and several state governments
are duly reflecting on it. But there is another important
dimension to it... Something which has to go hand in hand with
police reform is the judicial reforms. Something for which I
am responsible under the capacity of Law Minister," he said.
The Conference was headed by M K Narayanan, Governor of
West Bengal and attended by Minority Commission Chairman
Wajahat Habibullah and Minister of State for Minority Affairs
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Top five health benefits of raspberries!
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!