Govt indifferent to farmers` suicides, rue BJP MPs
New Delhi: The government is turning a blind
eye towards suicides by debt-ridden farmers when the problem
has assumed serious proportions with 2.57 lakh suicides since
1995, BJP members said in the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prabhat Jha (BJP) said
situation has become so alarming that every second farmer
family is in debt.
"Situation is so grim that farmers are selling their
kidneys, their children. It is high time government paid
attention to the problem, to which it has turned a blind eye,"
In the last one month alone, 160 farmers committed suicide
and in Vidharba region alone 19 farmers took the extreme step
in the last one week alone, he said.
Several of his party colleagues joined him in expressing
concern over the state of farmers` community.
Raising another issue, Jharna Das Baidya (CPI-M) demanded
a probe into firing by police in West Bengal`s South
24-Paragana district on December 1 after a tiff between
villagers and the West Bengal State Electricity Board (WBSEB)
over alleged theft of power. Two women were killed and eight
injured in the incident, she said.
Moinul Hassan (CPI-M) demanded a safe environment for
social activists, drawing the attention of the House towards
killing of a church worker Walsa John in Jharkhand on November
15. He also referred to killing of Shehla Masood, an RTI
activist in Madhya Pradesh.
Hassan was supported by senior BJP leader S S Ahluwalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister