Govt indifferent to farmers` suicides, rue BJP MPs
New Delhi: The government is turning a blind
eye towards suicides by debt-ridden farmers when the problem
has assumed serious proportions with 2.57 lakh suicides since
1995, BJP members said in the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prabhat Jha (BJP) said
situation has become so alarming that every second farmer
family is in debt.
"Situation is so grim that farmers are selling their
kidneys, their children. It is high time government paid
attention to the problem, to which it has turned a blind eye,"
In the last one month alone, 160 farmers committed suicide
and in Vidharba region alone 19 farmers took the extreme step
in the last one week alone, he said.
Several of his party colleagues joined him in expressing
concern over the state of farmers` community.
Raising another issue, Jharna Das Baidya (CPI-M) demanded
a probe into firing by police in West Bengal`s South
24-Paragana district on December 1 after a tiff between
villagers and the West Bengal State Electricity Board (WBSEB)
over alleged theft of power. Two women were killed and eight
injured in the incident, she said.
Moinul Hassan (CPI-M) demanded a safe environment for
social activists, drawing the attention of the House towards
killing of a church worker Walsa John in Jharkhand on November
15. He also referred to killing of Shehla Masood, an RTI
activist in Madhya Pradesh.
Hassan was supported by senior BJP leader S S Ahluwalia.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living