Govt indulging in tokenism on women`s reservation: BJP
New Delhi: Accusing the government of indulging in mere tokenism on the issue of women`s reservation, BJP on Thursday said the Congress is "hand-in-glove" with regional parties on the matter.
"The party (Congress) manages to garner support from Mayawati and Lalu Prasad on FDI but when it comes to the crucial issue of women`s reservation, it appears to be helpless and passing the buck," BJP National Secretary Saroj Pandey said.
The Congress is hand-in-glove with regional parties on the matter, she charged.
The MP from Durg (Chhattisgarh) said, "The country needs to know what stops Congress from bringing the bill in the Lok Sabha where it has the numbers and both BJP and Left parties are supporting it overwhelmingly".
The Women`s Reservation Bill, proposing 33 per cent reservation for women in Lok Sabha and State Assemblies, was passed by Rajya Sabha in 2010.
"It will be difficult for them to escape, people will teach them a befitting lesson in the next elections. This could be the perfect time for this bill to be passed as we are just trying to overcome the shock and tragedy of the Delhi gang-rape and we have the International Women`s day approaching," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- VIDEO! History-maker Kusal Mendis hits six to complete his century against Australia
- ISRO rocket launch postponed in wake of missing IAF aircraft search!
- What a talent! 'Kar chale hum fida' patriotic song by this street singer will give you goosebumps - WATCH
- Migrant arrivals inch up after failed Turkey coup: Greece
- Second French church attacker formally identified: Prosecutors