Govt indulging in tokenism on women`s reservation: BJP
New Delhi: Accusing the government of indulging in mere tokenism on the issue of women`s reservation, BJP on Thursday said the Congress is "hand-in-glove" with regional parties on the matter.
"The party (Congress) manages to garner support from Mayawati and Lalu Prasad on FDI but when it comes to the crucial issue of women`s reservation, it appears to be helpless and passing the buck," BJP National Secretary Saroj Pandey said.
The Congress is hand-in-glove with regional parties on the matter, she charged.
The MP from Durg (Chhattisgarh) said, "The country needs to know what stops Congress from bringing the bill in the Lok Sabha where it has the numbers and both BJP and Left parties are supporting it overwhelmingly".
The Women`s Reservation Bill, proposing 33 per cent reservation for women in Lok Sabha and State Assemblies, was passed by Rajya Sabha in 2010.
"It will be difficult for them to escape, people will teach them a befitting lesson in the next elections. This could be the perfect time for this bill to be passed as we are just trying to overcome the shock and tragedy of the Delhi gang-rape and we have the International Women`s day approaching," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?