Govt, industry join hands to strengthen cyber security
New Delhi: With recent instances of misuse of cyberspace fresh in mind, the government and the industry on Monday joined hands for ensuring security of computer networks and systems in the country while keeping democratic freedom intact.
The government and the private sector would jointly set up pilot testing labs for IT products, study vulnerabilities in a sample critical information infrastructure, conduct test audits to enhance the level of preparedness in cyber security and establish centres to train professionals in the key area.
This was stated by National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon after releasing the report of the Joint Working Group, chaired by Deputy National Security Advisor Latha Reddy on `Engagement with Private Sector on Cyber Security`.
Observing that neither the government nor the private sector can achieve cyber security in isolation, Menon stressed on the need to build the kind of partnerships and the habit of working together that "we haven`t had in the past".
"If India has to grow its IT industry, we also have to maintain our reputation of being safe, secure partners with whom everybody can work with," he said.
Menon said from the government point of view there were larger implications as well given the recent instances of misuse of social media to spread disinformation and affect social harmony.
"This kind of phenomenon is is something we need to learn to deal with. This is something new. The important thing for a democratic society like us is how do we do it while maintaining democratic freedoms," he said.
The JWG recommended a roadmap for enhancing public-private partnership in the area of cyber security by setting up an institutional framework, development of security standards, augmentation of testing and certification of IT products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof