Govt, industry join hands to strengthen cyber security
New Delhi: With recent instances of misuse of cyberspace fresh in mind, the government and the industry on Monday joined hands for ensuring security of computer networks and systems in the country while keeping democratic freedom intact.
The government and the private sector would jointly set up pilot testing labs for IT products, study vulnerabilities in a sample critical information infrastructure, conduct test audits to enhance the level of preparedness in cyber security and establish centres to train professionals in the key area.
This was stated by National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon after releasing the report of the Joint Working Group, chaired by Deputy National Security Advisor Latha Reddy on `Engagement with Private Sector on Cyber Security`.
Observing that neither the government nor the private sector can achieve cyber security in isolation, Menon stressed on the need to build the kind of partnerships and the habit of working together that "we haven`t had in the past".
"If India has to grow its IT industry, we also have to maintain our reputation of being safe, secure partners with whom everybody can work with," he said.
Menon said from the government point of view there were larger implications as well given the recent instances of misuse of social media to spread disinformation and affect social harmony.
"This kind of phenomenon is is something we need to learn to deal with. This is something new. The important thing for a democratic society like us is how do we do it while maintaining democratic freedoms," he said.
The JWG recommended a roadmap for enhancing public-private partnership in the area of cyber security by setting up an institutional framework, development of security standards, augmentation of testing and certification of IT products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review