Govt, industry join hands to strengthen cyber security
New Delhi: With recent instances of misuse of cyberspace fresh in mind, the government and the industry on Monday joined hands for ensuring security of computer networks and systems in the country while keeping democratic freedom intact.
The government and the private sector would jointly set up pilot testing labs for IT products, study vulnerabilities in a sample critical information infrastructure, conduct test audits to enhance the level of preparedness in cyber security and establish centres to train professionals in the key area.
This was stated by National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon after releasing the report of the Joint Working Group, chaired by Deputy National Security Advisor Latha Reddy on `Engagement with Private Sector on Cyber Security`.
Observing that neither the government nor the private sector can achieve cyber security in isolation, Menon stressed on the need to build the kind of partnerships and the habit of working together that "we haven`t had in the past".
"If India has to grow its IT industry, we also have to maintain our reputation of being safe, secure partners with whom everybody can work with," he said.
Menon said from the government point of view there were larger implications as well given the recent instances of misuse of social media to spread disinformation and affect social harmony.
"This kind of phenomenon is is something we need to learn to deal with. This is something new. The important thing for a democratic society like us is how do we do it while maintaining democratic freedoms," he said.
The JWG recommended a roadmap for enhancing public-private partnership in the area of cyber security by setting up an institutional framework, development of security standards, augmentation of testing and certification of IT products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?