New Delhi: Reacting to the spate of attacks on Indians, the Government of India on Tuesday issued a travel advisory for Australia, advising its citizens to adopt caution while being in that country, sources have revealed.
Union External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had Monday warned that the advisory would be New Delhi’s "last resort” in case no concrete measures were taken by Australia.
Melbourne authorities on Tuesday said that a partially-burnt body found in New South Wales (NSW) province was that of a young Indian man. We have made contact with "the man`s family in India as well as the Indian Consulate in order to assist in the identification process", police said.
The body of the 25-year-old victim was found on a
roadside near Griffith in New South Wales on December 29.
Three days ago a 21-year-old youth Nitin Garg, an accounting graduate who was originally from Punjab, had died after he was stabbed in West Footscray area of Melbourne. He was the first to die in a slew of attacks on Indians in Australia that began last year.
Garg`s killing, the first reported death in a slew of
attacks on Indians, drew a sharp reaction from India with Krishna reminding Australia of the economic benefits that Indian students brought to Australia.
Krishna had said attacks on Indians were causing "deep
anger" and the latest killing of Garg, "certainly will have
some bearing on bilateral ties".
A series of cases of attacks on Indians, particularly
students, in Australia were reported last year straining
bilateral ties. Nearly 100 cases of attacks on Indians were reported in
Australia in 2009 as against 17 incidents of assaults in 2008.
An official document recently said these incidents had
led to a 20 per cent drop in enrolment of Indian students this
year, causing substantial loss in revenue for Australia.