Govt issues fresh directives for airport security
New Delhi: Fresh directives have been issued to all airport operators in the country to install sophisticated devices to shore up security at domestic and international airports, Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi informed the Lok Sabha.
"The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) has issued the directions to all airport operators to install the high security equipments at domestic and international airports," an official statement from the ministry said.
According to the statement, an estimated Rs 616 crore would be spent on the project to buy and install the security equipment and gadgets to shore up security.
The information on the heightened security measures and installation of new equipment comes after the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) instructed airport authorities to maintain vigil in key areas such as parking lots and airside.
The directive includes an increase in the number of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel at entry and exit points as well as installation of CCTV cameras in parking areas.
At a recent regional aviation conference here Vayalar Ravi said that India has successfully undertaken an audit of all major aviation security aspects, including airports, key installations and air cargo.
"Airport security is being reviewed in consultation with the home ministry and intelligence agencies and various proposals to improve the security are under active consideration," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS