Govt issues fresh directives for airport security
New Delhi: Fresh directives have been issued to all airport operators in the country to install sophisticated devices to shore up security at domestic and international airports, Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi informed the Lok Sabha.
"The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) has issued the directions to all airport operators to install the high security equipments at domestic and international airports," an official statement from the ministry said.
According to the statement, an estimated Rs 616 crore would be spent on the project to buy and install the security equipment and gadgets to shore up security.
The information on the heightened security measures and installation of new equipment comes after the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) instructed airport authorities to maintain vigil in key areas such as parking lots and airside.
The directive includes an increase in the number of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel at entry and exit points as well as installation of CCTV cameras in parking areas.
At a recent regional aviation conference here Vayalar Ravi said that India has successfully undertaken an audit of all major aviation security aspects, including airports, key installations and air cargo.
"Airport security is being reviewed in consultation with the home ministry and intelligence agencies and various proposals to improve the security are under active consideration," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender