Govt issues notification making Sachin RS member
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Friday issued a notification formally nominating master batsman Sachin Tendulkar, actress Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga as members of Rajya Sabha.
The notification was issued a day after President Pratibha Patil gave her approval to the government`s proposal to make them members of the Upper House.
The names of Tendulkar, Rekha, and Aga were sent by the prime minister to the Home Ministry which forwarded them to the President for her approval.
Article 80 of the Constitution provides for nomination of persons having special knowledge or practical experience in matters such as literature, science, art and social service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...