Govt issues notification to review sexual assault-cases
New Delhi: Government tonight issued a notification for reviewing the present laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault.
Announcing this, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said government is serious about taking stringent action against those involved in the Delhi gangrape case at the earliest.
"The notification reflects how serious the government is. I assure the country that we are serious," he told reporters here.
Shinde said police had to resort to lathicharge against protesting students today at India Gate and its surrounding areas when they indulged in violence in which 18-20 policemen were injured.
One of the injured policeman is in critical condition, he said.
"Besides, Russian President Vladimir Putin is arriving in Delhi tomorrow. There should not be any such protest when he is visiting India. We are trying our best to cooperate with the students, but... No such picture should go out of the country for which India would come under criticism from the outside world. I again appeal to the students to maintain peace," he said.
After issuing the notification, the government also announced constitution of a three-member committee headed by former Chief Justice of India J S Verma.
The other members of the committee are Justice (retd) Leila Seth (former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court) and former Solicitor General of India Gopal Subramanian.
The panel will give recommendations for reviewing the laws related to sexual assault.
It will look into possible amendments to criminal law for providing quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part IV
- Amitabh Bachchan proud of hosting girl child segment at government's gala
- LGBT community won't be free till section 377 exists: Celina Jaitley
- Premature babies at greater of risk of osteoporosis in adulthood
- Government to crack down on savings scams as PM Modi backs banking for all
- Is your SOUL mature enough? Find out here