Govt issues terror alert ahead of SAARC meeting
New Delhi: The nation has been put on high
alert following intelligence inputs that Pakistan-based
terrorists, who are against any thaw in Indo-Pak relations,
may strike in a desperate bid to derail the SAARC meeting in
Sources said the advisory issued by Ministry of Home
Affairs asked all states to increased vigil and take
precautionary measures to ensure security as Pakistan-based
outfits, who are opposed to any dialogue between India and
Pakistan, may strike at public places.
The move came considering the fact that terrorists struck
at a public place in Pune just days before the February 25
Foreign Secretary-level talks between India and Pakistan.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram is scheduled to fly to
Islamabad tomorrow to attend a meeting of SAARC Interior
Ministers apart from holding a bilateral meeting with his
Pakistan counterpart Rehman Malik.
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao, Home Secretary G K Pillai
and head of the Intelligence Bureau, Rajiv Mathur are in
Islamabad to have talks with their respective counterparts.
"We have sent alert to all States and are taking all
necessary measures. There are possibility that Pak-based
elements may try to carry out terror strike in the country," a
Home Ministry official said.
The advisory has asked States to be more vigilant and
check crowded public places like markets, railway stations,
bus terminals and parks besides other places of mass
gathering, he said.
The Home Ministry also gave out list of potential targets
and advised on what to look our for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'