Govt lacks numbers in Rajya Sabha: Arun Jaitley
New Delhi: Irked with continuous adjournment of the Upper House by the MPs of Mayawati-led BSP and the Samajwadi Party, which give outside support to the UPA government, the main opposition BJP on Wednesday held the Centre responsible for disruptions in the Rajya Sabha.
Speaking to reporters, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said, “I have a lurking suspicion that the government is unsure where the vote on FDI will go in the Rajya Sabha. The government is not serious about conducting business particularly in the Rajya Sabha.”
Suspecting government’s hand behind continuous disruption of the proceedings in the Rajya Sabha, the BJP leader said, “The government does not have numbers so it is staging disruptions and stalling the proceedings inside the Upper House.”
“I want the Prime Minister to clarify his government’s intention whether it wants to allow the Upper House to function smoothly or not,” Jaitley said.
Apparently irritated with the developments, Jaitley, who was to raise the issue of derecognition of the Indian Olympic Association, said, “Every day members from the ruling party and its supporting party are disrupting the house. The leader of the house should come and explain if they want the house to run or not."
The remarks from the BJP leader came minutes after the Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day after BSP MPs stalled the proceedings demanding the construction of a memorial for Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar in Mumbai.
The Rajya Sabha also witnessed protests by the SP MPs over a bill for providing quota to the Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST) in promotions in government jobs.
The Upper House was earlier adjourned till 12 noon when the Bahujan Samaj Party (BJP) demanded a memorial for Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar in Mumbai.
When the house met, BSP chief Mayawati asked the government to explain by when it would complete construction of the memorial.
To this, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla said the government was taking action and promised to give a statement on the issue by Thursday.
BSP members were pacified by the minister`s statement but it was then the turn of the SP to disrupt the house. Samajwadi Party members gathered near the chairman`s podium and started raising slogans against reservation in promotion.
Amid the din, Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien adjourned the Upper House for the day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark