Govt launches `181` women helpline number for all states
New Delhi: A month after releasing the three-digit emergency number for women in Delhi, the government on Monday said it will make available the `181` women helpline number to all states of the country.
"We will give single emergency number 181 to women across the country," Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters here.
According to sources, Sibal is expected to write to all chief ministers about the Ministry`s decision to allocate the three digit number `181` to all states so that it can be made a national helpline for women.
After allocation of the emergency number, the state governments will be required to set up their call centers.
"The Telecom Department will make available the number to all states, which are than required to set up call centers so that the number becomes operational across the country," sources added.
Amidst nationwide uproar over brutal gang-rape of a 23-year old paramedic student in the national capital, the Telecom Ministry in December released a three-digit number, 167, for women helpline in Delhi.
The number, however, was changed to `181` as the Ministry felt that it would be easier to recollect.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had requested to allot a three-digit phone number for helping women in distress.
This was the first three-digit number to have been allotted in two years by the Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price