Govt launches CCTNS pilot project
New Delhi: An ambitious project to create a comprehensive and integrated system for effective policing and sharing data of crimes and criminals among 14,000 police stations across the country was formally launched here on Friday.
The Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) aims at creation of a nation-wide networking infrastructure for evolution of IT-enabled sophisticated tracking system around `investigation of crime and detection of criminals`.
Launching the project, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said CCTNS project would make a quantum jump in the ability of law enforcement agencies to check crime and nab criminals.
It will create a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing through adopting of principle of e-governance.
The chief secretaries and DGPs of all states were present on the occasion.
Under the CCTNS project, which was conceived by the then Home Minister P Chidambaram after the Mumbai terror attack, approximately 14,000 police stations throughout the country will be connected apart from higher offices in police hierarchy.
The Rs 2,000 crore project, approved in 2009, spans across all the 35 states and Union Territories. It will be connected to a total of more than 21,000 locations.
Home Secretary R K Singh said the CCTNS would be a comprehensive database for crimes and criminals, and it would be easier for the law enforcement agencies to track down a criminal moving from one place to another.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP