Govt launches Rs 100 cr project for revamping Civil Defence
New Delhi: To revamp Civil Defence set up
in the country, the government has launched a Rs 100-crore
The scheme, being implemented during the 11th Five Year
Plan, envisages upgradation of existing 17 Civil Defence
Training Institutes in the states/Union Territories in terms
of physical infrastructure, transport and equipment, setting
up of ten new such institutes.
Besides, a pilot project for involving Civil Defence in
internal security and law and order situations in 40 select
towns, re-orientation and strengthening of Civil Defence in
100 select multi-hazard districts and making them district
centric from town centric were also part of it.
During 2009-10, Rs 14.80 crore have been released to the
state governments under the scheme, Minister of State for Home
Ajay Maken informed Rajya Sabha.
Out of 17 states, 12 have finalised their plans for
upgrdation of existing training institutes.
Out of 10 states identified for setting up of new
training institutes, only Chhattisgarh has allotted land and
the remaining States/UTs are in process of acquiring land.
This component is to be implemented during 2010-11.
Under the pilot project, 212 Master Trainers have been
trained in National Civil Defence College, Nagpur and 1,196
volunteers have been trained by Master Trainers in various
A total of 56,705 volunteers have been weeded out and
35,643 have been enrolled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists