Govt Lokpal draft better than 2010: Agnivesh
New Delhi: Contrary to Anna Hazare team`s
description of government`s Lokpal Bill draft as a "very big
hoax", Swami Agnivesh, an associate of the Gandhian`s
anti-graft campaign, on Friday termed the latest draft as an
"improvement" of its 2010 draft.
However Agnivesh, who met two government nominees in
the joint drafting committee on Lokpal Bill Law Minister M
Veerappa Moily and Water Resources Minister Salman Khurshid,
argued that the post of the Prime Minister should be brought
under the ambit of the ombudsman albeit with some conditions.
The social activist said his meetings with both the
ministers were encouraging and appreciated that the new draft
of was an "improvement" of the one prepared by the government
in October last year.
"I congratulated the government for improving the 2010
Bill. I hope that the remaining other contentious issues will
also be finetuned and refined. We should be able to get all
the contentious issues resolved amicably," Agnivesh told PTI.
"I requested Moily and Khurshid to look into the
inclusion of Prime Minister with some conditions like that in
the 2010 draft bill," he said, adding such a gesture would
inspire confidence among people. Without Prime Minister`s
inclusion, he said, the government efforts will not carry much
He claimed both Moily and Khurshid were "positive" to
When pointed out that his stand was in variance with
the Hazare team`s position on the bill, he said, "I have my
own way of interpreting things. I think this draft is a
positive development which has to be worked upon to make it
Agnivesh said he will continue to be part of the
efforts in fighting corruption and that he met the ministers
in his individual capacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?