Govt lost morally on FDI vote: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: As all her pleas against FDI in multi-brand retail failed in Lok Sabha, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, on Wednesday said that the government has won a technical fight, but lost on moral grounds.
“Today it has been clear that the government is in minority, this is the third consecutive chance that the government has been failed to manage simple minimum majority. But, despite being in majority, they are saying to carry on their policies. This is called the arrogance of power,” said Swaraj.
Commenting on the decision by the Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party to abstain from voting, Swaraj said it shows how the SP, BSP speak one thing and do another.
“Today, along with the Congress, SP and BSP have been also exposed. The people have seen the deference between their work and words. If they were indeed against FDI, they should have voted. Because, if they have acted according to their speeches, the government might have been defeated, but they supported the government and FDI by their abstentions,” she added.
The BJP’s motion against FDI was defeated in Lok Sabha as 218 members voted in favour of the motion, while 253 voted against. Samajwadi Party’s 21 MPs and Bahujan Samaj Party’s 22 MPs abstained from voting on the FDI issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price