Govt maintains studied silence on 2G verdict
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 12:56
  
Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Clearly pushed to a corner after the Supreme Court scrapped the 2G licences issued by it, the Manmohan Singh government on Thursday went into a huddle to decipher the verdict and chart out its future course of action.

Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh immediately after the apex court cancelled all 122 licences issued in January, 2008. Sibal is expected to have discussed the implications of the verdict.

Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said, “The judgements have come, we will have to examine the judgement and its implications. Government will examine it.”

The Congress on the other hand was seen distancing itself from the 2G issue by asserting that it is for the government to respond to it.

"The Supreme Court has taken a decision. The government will respond to it," AICC general secretary and incharge of media department, Janardhan Dwivedi said.

However, the party also noted that the apex court has not passed any remark against P Chidambaram for his alleged role in the 2G case but it withheld detailed comment pending a study of the order. "We have respect for the judgement of the Supreme Court. They have not passed any remarks against the Home Minister and, as far as telecom licences are concerned, which are cancelled, we have not gone through the judgement so far," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.

On the other hand, Rajiv Shukla said that Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal will take a ‘decision’ after studying the verdict.

Sibal had faced flak for dismissing the CAG report which had put the presumptive loss due to faulty allocation at Rs 1.76 lakh crore. He had claimed that the allocation had caused ‘zero loss’ to the exchequer.


First Published: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 12:56


comments powered by Disqus