Govt may amend bill relating to appointment of judges: Ravi Shankar Prasad
New Delhi: Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on Saturday hinted that the Narendra Modi government will rework on a constitutional amendment bill introduced by the previous dispensation which seeks to give the executive a say in appointment of judges.
"We want to bring the National Judicial Commission in which both the judiciary and the executive will be present but the judiciary will have an upper hand. We will bring the bill in an objective manner. The previous government had brought bill but there were infirmities in it," he said.
He said several eminent jurists, including late Justice JS Verma, had questioned the working of the present collegium system.
"Our party (BJP) had promised to bring the National Judicial Commission in the election manifesto," Prasad told to a TV news channel.
Asked whether the NDA government was seeking to exercise control over the judiciary, Prasad said the government wants the judiciary to be independent.
His remarks came in the backdrop of the Gopal Subramanium controversy in which the government returned to the Supreme Court collegium its recommendation to appoint the senior lawyer as a judge of the apex court.
Chief Justice of India RM Lodha had later expressed displeasure at the government`s handling of the case and questioned the segregation by terming it as a unilateral move of the executive.
Prasad reiterated his stand that the government has the right to give its opinion in judicial appointments. "If we give five, or say, three names, and we object to one of them, there will be segregation. We have the right to request a review," he said.
He said the NDA government is planning to bring a National Litigation Policy pending for years.
"There are three crore cases pending in India...2.68 crore are pending in lower courts. Of them, cheque-bouncing cases number nearly 22 lakh...These can be easily disposed of in Lok Adalats," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried