Govt may bring land acquisition bill in winter session
New Delhi: Government may bring the Land Acquisition Bill in the Winter session of Parliament with Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Monday stating that the Group of Ministers headed by him may probably complete the scrutiny of contentious provisions in the legislation in a week`s time.
"Our efforts are to finish (the scrutiny of the bill) as early as possible, probably in a week`s time," Pawar told reporters on the sidelines of an Agriculture conference here today.
Government constituted a 14-member GoM headed by Pawar last week after some ministers voiced reservations over certain provisions of the controversial Bill.
Rechristened as `The Right to Fair Compensation, Resettlement, Rehabilitation and Transparency in Land Acquisition` Bill, it has been hanging fire for long even though the National Advisory Council headed by Sonia Gandhi has been pushing for the law and has framed its broad contours.
The Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011 was introduced in Parliament in September last year and was referred to a Parliamentary Standing Committee, which submitted its recommendations in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border