Govt may request SC for review of selection procedure in CBI
New Delhi: The CBI is likely to request Supreme Court to review the selection procedure for senior-level appointments in the probe agency in its response to a notice in the case relating to a woman IPS officer being picked as its Additional Director.
The CBI was impleaded in the case on Friday on request of Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran, who was appearing on behalf of the Government in a matter related to appointment of Archana Ramasundaram, a 1980 IPS batch officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, as Additional Director in the agency.
The Supreme Court, which has taken several steps in bringing operational autonomy to the CBI, had on Friday restrained Ramasundram from functioning as Additional Director as an interim relief to the petitioner who had challenged her appointment.
The apex court bench headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha, while restraining her from discharging the functions of Additional Director CBI until July 14, clarified that interim order shall not be construed as reflection on the competence or merits of the officer in any manner whatsoever.
The bench, however, said it has become necessary in view of strong prima facie case made out with regard to legal flaw in selection.
The bench, which also comprised justices A K Patnaik, K S Radhakrishnan and Surinder Singh Nijjar, agreed to a request by Solicitor General Parasaran in impleading CBI Director as party in the PIL filed by journalist Vineet Narain.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor