Govt may request SC for review of selection procedure in CBI
New Delhi: The CBI is likely to request Supreme Court to review the selection procedure for senior-level appointments in the probe agency in its response to a notice in the case relating to a woman IPS officer being picked as its Additional Director.
The CBI was impleaded in the case on Friday on request of Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran, who was appearing on behalf of the Government in a matter related to appointment of Archana Ramasundaram, a 1980 IPS batch officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, as Additional Director in the agency.
The Supreme Court, which has taken several steps in bringing operational autonomy to the CBI, had on Friday restrained Ramasundram from functioning as Additional Director as an interim relief to the petitioner who had challenged her appointment.
The apex court bench headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha, while restraining her from discharging the functions of Additional Director CBI until July 14, clarified that interim order shall not be construed as reflection on the competence or merits of the officer in any manner whatsoever.
The bench, however, said it has become necessary in view of strong prima facie case made out with regard to legal flaw in selection.
The bench, which also comprised justices A K Patnaik, K S Radhakrishnan and Surinder Singh Nijjar, agreed to a request by Solicitor General Parasaran in impleading CBI Director as party in the PIL filed by journalist Vineet Narain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof