Govt misleading SC on CVC’s appointment: Sushma
New Delhi: Slamming the government, BJP
leader Sushma Swaraj termed as "untruth" its claim that the
charges against CVC P J Thomas was not brought before the
high-powered selection committee of which she was a member and
said she would approach the Supreme Court in this regard.
"It is not at all true. In fact, it is a mis-statement. I
personally brought this fact to the notice of the Prime
Minister and Home Minister in the meeting itself even though
they persisted with this appointment," Swaraj said here.
The Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha told reporters that
she had always stayed away from judicial proceedings but "now
I have decided to file my affidavit before the Supreme Court".
Swaraj, who had put on record her dissent to the
selection of Thomas as CVC by the three-member committee, was
reacting to the affidavit filed by Attorney General G E
Vahanvati in the Supreme Court today that the panel was not
aware of the charges in the Palmolein export case pending
against him in Kerala.
The main opposition party had even boycotted the CVC`s
swearing-in ceremony a few months back as a mark of protest.
"The government is speaking one untruth after another
untruth. So I have decided to file a detailed affidavit on
the issue," Swaraj said.
She asserted that her main objection to Thomas`
appointment was that there was chargesheet against him in a
corruption case and sanction was granted by Kerala government
for his prosecution.
An NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation, and others
had challenged Thomas` appointment as the CVC, citing the
Pamolein import corruption case in which the top ranking
official is an accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says