Govt misleading SC on CVC’s appointment: Sushma
New Delhi: Slamming the government, BJP
leader Sushma Swaraj termed as "untruth" its claim that the
charges against CVC P J Thomas was not brought before the
high-powered selection committee of which she was a member and
said she would approach the Supreme Court in this regard.
"It is not at all true. In fact, it is a mis-statement. I
personally brought this fact to the notice of the Prime
Minister and Home Minister in the meeting itself even though
they persisted with this appointment," Swaraj said here.
The Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha told reporters that
she had always stayed away from judicial proceedings but "now
I have decided to file my affidavit before the Supreme Court".
Swaraj, who had put on record her dissent to the
selection of Thomas as CVC by the three-member committee, was
reacting to the affidavit filed by Attorney General G E
Vahanvati in the Supreme Court today that the panel was not
aware of the charges in the Palmolein export case pending
against him in Kerala.
The main opposition party had even boycotted the CVC`s
swearing-in ceremony a few months back as a mark of protest.
"The government is speaking one untruth after another
untruth. So I have decided to file a detailed affidavit on
the issue," Swaraj said.
She asserted that her main objection to Thomas`
appointment was that there was chargesheet against him in a
corruption case and sanction was granted by Kerala government
for his prosecution.
An NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation, and others
had challenged Thomas` appointment as the CVC, citing the
Pamolein import corruption case in which the top ranking
official is an accused.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents