Govt monitoring China arms sales to Pakistan: Krishna
New Delhi: The government is "closely"
monitoring the sale of arms to Pakistan by China, External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna said on Wednesday.
Along with the statement, also came the assurance that
there was peace and tranquillity at India China border.
"All these developments are closely monitored by the
External Affairs Ministry, by the Defence Ministry and various
other ministries and the Prime Minister. So, let us not get
into yet another speculative area," he said.
He was replying to a query on China selling arms to
Pakistan and if this would lead to an arms race in the region.
China had recently sought to defend its sale of
submarines and warships to Pakistan, contending that even
India was seeking military equipment from US and Russia.
Maintaining that India desires to maintain peace and
tranquillity along the Sino-India border, Krishna said "I have
said and I would like to repeat again in the dying days of
2009 that India China border is peaceful, they are tranquil.
"It is India`s desire to maintain peace and tranquillity
at our borders and we will continue to do that".
Chief of Pakistan`s naval staff Noman Bashir, who was on
a visit to China recently had talks with Chinese officials for
the purchase of more JF-17 fighter planes and bigger ships
than the F22P frigates, currently ordered by Pakistan.
Since 2005, Pakistan has ordered eight F22P frigates from
China. "The F22P frigate is about 3,000 tons, and now we are
talking about 4,000-ton ships," Bashir had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand