Govt monitoring development in China: Antony
New Delhi: The government is regularly monitoring all developments in the neighbouring countries which have a bearing on the national security, Defence Ministry AK Antony told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to the House, Antony said, "Government is regularly monitoring all developments in our neighbourhood which have a bearing on the national security."
He was replying to a "whether security agencies have informed that China is building major infrastructure along the border".
To strengthen security infrastructure, the minister said, "Required measures have been initiated through development of infrastructure and operational capabilities to achieve desired levels of defence preparedness to safeguard the sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of India."
Replying to another question on visit on Indian warships to Shanghai in China, Antony said, "The visit of Indian warships to Shanghai was in accordance with the understanding between the two countries to make port calls to each other`s ports as a confidence building measure."
Constructive engagement with foreign Navies is one of the activities during the peace time, he said.
Four Indian warships INS Rana, INS Shivalik, INS Karmuk and INS Shakti had made a port call at Shanghai in April on way to Japan under the annual Long Rang Operational Deployment in high seas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Juno probe to make its closest approach to Jupiter tomorrow!
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official